Tuesday, March 6, 2012

In Which I'm Taken for Princess Leia. :)

If it was not Daniel and I, I would have deemed the couple going out for Blizzards from Dairy Queen on a freezing night a bit odd.

But it was Daniel and I. It appeared that Sarah, Dad, and the various and sundry everybody elses had eaten all the left-over ice cream from the other night. 

National Security deemed it a State of Emergency. I suggested that Daniel and I run up to the Dairy Queen nearby and get ourselves something. He was agreeable to the idea and we decided to go. 

And then I realized...

...I looked an awful lot like Mickey Mouse. I had my hair in double sock-buns on the top of my head and I looked quite Mousey. "Well, let's stay in the car." I suggested.

Daniel looked much aggrieved. "Oh come on, it doesn't look that bad," he said. I gave him a sidelong, very skeptical glance, but I really didn't want to sit in the car either. I would have to do it. I would rely on the cover of darkness and the lateness of the hour to keep me from any embarrassing encounters with anyone that mattered.

He and I piled into the car, zipped down the road, and walked into the restaurant. He ordered first. I ordered next:

"I'd like a double-fudge cookie-dough blizzard, please."

The cashier was very sweet, but she is not accustomed to seeing me in such a rodent-like state. I saw her politely trying not to stare at my hair. I saw her eyes sparkling and the way that amused smile kept stealing across her face. I knew she thought I was nonsensical, but people, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right? I didn't care so much.

And then I saw them. Them. People we knew. People we knew enough that it would be rude to ignore them. People that would see me impersonating Mickey Mouse and get into their car and laugh all the way home. It was a bit mor'ifying, to quote Mr. Guppy. But I began to see the humor in the situation. I was enjoying myself a little, actually.

We did the unavoidable rendezvous. We greeted them and found they didn't quite remember us. Embarrassment #1. But I smiled. Well of course they didn't remember us. I didn't look like Mickey Mouse last time they saw me. Huge ears definitely change a person's look. ;)

I prepared my excuse--prepared to admit that my mouse-ears were simply vanity--perched up there only because I wanted wavy hair the following day And yes, I planned on sleeping that way. And then the situation suddenly turned around. I was mistress of myself all at once because the wife said something that gave me an open door to be proud of my Mickey Mouse ears.

"Your hair looks so cute!" she cried. "I told my daughter you were Princess Leia!"

Suddenly the world was turned right, I stood a little straighter, and I laughed. Princess Leia?


Yes....I can take that. :)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Luke...I..I mean Daniel :P, fly you there in the Millennium Falcon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, that's you all the way Rach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! What a great story! That totally sounds like something that would happen to me. :-)

    When I was in theater in college, I remember having to set aside my dignity and go around campus with sponge curlers in my hair (because it had to be curled for the performance). If that isn't a humbling experience, I don't know what is. Haha!

    Oh, and way back in grade school or middle school years, I acquired these two recoiling hair things that would form perfect buns, and one time I did one on each side of my head (down by my ears) and went to church like that. Everybody in Sunday School called me Princess Leia, but that was before I had even heard of Star Wars, so the reference was lost. But yeah, later it all made sense. :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you are here to leave a comment, you are very muchy. You have much muchness in you, and we muchly appreciate it.
xoxo
Rachel and Sarah